Wednesday 10 February 2016

COLOURING - Is it REALLY Good For You?


So, adult colouring books....
Unless you've been living under a rock, then you may have noticed the latest global craze which exploded onto the scene in mid-2015. First it was loom bands, now, it's adult colouring books. And crayons, of course. It may be hard to believe that colouring, an activity our parents used  to distract or entertain us as young children, can have grown so popular in the older generations, but since Johanna Basford first published her book 'Secret Garden - An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book,' in 2013, sales and publications have increased at a catastrophic rate.

But why? Why is it that such a simple activity is creating such an inky storm

Many, many people have been asking this question, as one main idea around the craze arises. Is it just another money-making scheme? Why not just buy a children's colouring book? The truth is that what may have started as a fantastic idea has slightly spiralled into another way of publishing houses making money. But that's how marketing and industry works; companies see that an area is soaring in sales, and so they create similar editions of the same product to increase the money they make. Although this is probably true, we can't guarantee this. However, from reliable sources we can learn to understand why adult colouring books, even more so than typical ones for children, are successful.

Scientifically speaking, when it comes to the mind and mental wellbeing, colouring is incredibly beneficial. First and foremost, the action can help tune fine motor skills. According to psychologist Gloria Martinez Ayala, colouring 'incorporates areas of the cerebal cortex involved in vision and fine motor skills.' This could thus maybe help those who suffer from Dyspraxia or Developmental Coordination Disorder. As well as this, clinical counsellor Leslie Marshall claims that it 'opens up the frontal lobe of the brain - the home of organizing and problem solving - and focusses the mind.'

Thirdly is it's benefits to stress and Anxiety disorders. Scientists have expressed that colouring relaxes the Amygdala - the fear centre of the brain - and therefore relaxes you as well. As it can work as a form of meditation and mindfulness, colouring is perfect for helping the Amygdala respond less to stress. 

Now, all this may be very scientific, but when put to the test, do adult colouring books serious help the brain? So, we brought a sceptic into the mix - me. 

When I first received a colouring book, I snorted in derision at the idea that it could help with my stress and 'inner peace,' as the cover so boldly stated. I suffer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder, and have done so for six years. I also don't cope well with stress, which has been the trigger  of severe illness in previous years. Very few things have ever helped with these issues, and that's why I was so sceptical.  Opening the cover, unzipping my pencil case, I continued to have doubts. But it worked

Since first trying to understand what all the hype was about, I have been completely converted into the idea that these products have health benefits. In the time I took to do one page, my stress levels decreased, I felt calmer and less anxious, and I later in the day I was so much more productive than I would usually be. Taking the time to wind down, and focus on something so simple gave me a chance to set aside my worries and balance out my mental state. If colouring can work for a strong sceptic such as myself, then surely adult colouring books can be of help  to so many other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment